Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dreams


On Sunday I had the amazing opportunity to be a part of my friend Carissa's dream.  She has been training all summer for the Marine Corps Marathon (MCM).  26.2 miles of running in DC and Virginia.

The day started off early!  I went to a costume party the night before and made sure to be home by 1am.  I got up at 7 since I knew she would ok at the beginning of the race.   I took the metro to DC and met up with her husband and other friends that were there cheering too.  Her friends made the most AMAZING signs that all the runners were loving.

I met up with Carissa at mile 16.  I jumped in and offered candy, water, lip gloss and entertainment.  I stayed with her on and off until the end of the race.

We had to make some cut offs at miles 17 and 20 in order to remain on the course.  We did a walk/jog strategy in order to reach these checkpoints.  When I met up with Carissa, I could tell that she was in some physical discomfort.  But there were 10.2 more miles to go. 

At mile 18 she looked at me and said "Do you think I will make it?"  It almost made me cry.  I knew she wasn't asking about getting to the mile 20 checkpoint, she was asking about finishing the race.  Luckily I had on sunglasses so she couldn't see my eyes.  I told her yes, you will finish this.  

I can't describe to you all the reasons that she did the race, but I will tell you this, it was an emotional time for all of us to see her accomplish this great goal.

She claims "never again" but only time will truly tell!

Congrats my Marathon friend!

Finishing the MCM!

Here are some photos after the marathon:
 Photo


Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment