Friday, January 6, 2017

Veganuary Take 2 Week 1



It is that time of year when a few folks in my office go vegan for the month.  I had much less trepidation than last year and felt ready.  LOL, you know that must means things did not start out well.

I went to the store, bought lots of fresh food and started on January 2nd.  The first day was fine although I forgot my coconut creamer at home and had to drink black coffee. Day 2 passed just fine however on day 3 I was NOT feeling it.  I had a headache, I didn't feel good and was feeling OVER IT.  I thought I was having dairy withdrawals....turns out that I was eating all this fresh food but wasn't eating salt.  I had some salty peanuts and felt better within 30 minutes.  Since then I have made sure to add salt to my food and have felt fine.  I woke up on Thursday feeling AMAZING, like wide awake, cheerful and feeling good.  Thursday night I hit up the grocery store to get food and ingredients for the vegan luncheon at work the following day.  I cooked for a while and cleaned my kitchen and reoganized my pantry area.  I woke up Friday with a terrible tension headache.  I think looking down for too long at the stove, the recipe etc put too much strain on my neck.  I took some meds immeately, took the dogs out, put some peppermint oil on and got in the tub for a hot hot bath.  After that I went to bed for 30 minutes and felt much better.

We had our luncheon which was amazing, I failed to take a photo of the food, but one of the guys brought in bbq jackfruit.  GUYS, it was so good.  It looked like pulled pork and tasked amazing.  I had not tried jackfruit before, but did some google-ing and am willing to get some and try it some other ways (as well as just try it as a fruit). Another coworker brought cauliflower steak, which was very tasty and filling.  Overall it was a great 1st vegan luncheon for the year.

And with that, I'm ready for my first vegan weekend in Veganuary!

ps. To get more info about Veganuary, please go to www.veganuary.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment